10.27.2009

Amish Friendship Bread Starter



I became obsessed with this bread after my friend's mom gave me a baggy of starter. It got to be too much for me, though, because I never gave away the starter and didn't know that I could cut down on the "feedings" to produce less.

Recently, I started craving it again, but had no idea how to get a hold of some of the starter. I started searching online and found a recipe to make my very own starter. I was so excited.

Here is the recipe that I followed the first time. You will wind up with about four cups of starter on day 27. I kept one cup in a glass jar, so that I can keep it alive. Then, I baked the other three cups. With one cup, I made pumpkin bread, with the second cup, I baked lemon poppy seed bread, and with the third cup, I made the traditional Amish bread. This will make SIX loaves.

However, now I am going to cut down on my feedings. I will only add 1/4 C each of flour, sugar, and milk. That way, I can just bake one cup and save one.

I doubt that any of you will be interested in doing this, but I just love doing it. Plus, the results are SUPER tasty! It really isn't as daunting as it seems. If you forget to stir it for a couple of days, it isn't a big deal. If you happen to be going out of town, you can refrigerate it and ignore it for up to a week.

PS- all that stuff about not using metal is crap. Use whatever you have.

Amish Friendship Bread Starter

1 c. sugar
1 c. milk
1 c. flour

Combine ingredients in a large, deep glass or plastic container. Cover lightly. If the container has a lid, leave it slightly open, or place a piece of cheesecloth over the container and secure it with a rubber band. Store at room temperature.

Stir every day for 17 days.

On the 18th day do nothing.

On the 19, 20 and 21, stir.

On day 22 stir and add 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk. Stir again.

On days 23, 24, 25 and 26 stir.

On day 27, add 1 cup flour, 1 cup milk and 1 cup sugar. Stir. You should have about 4 cups starter. Give 1 cup each to two friends and keep the remaining two cups for yourself.

Use one in Amish Friendship Bread recipe (which follows) and use the other to keep the starter going.

When you give away the starter, include these instructions:

How to keep a starter going:

Do not refrigerate and do not use a metal spoon when stirring.

On day 1 (the day you receive you starter) do nothing.

Days, 2 3, and 4, stir or squeeze the bag.

On day 5, stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk.

Pour mixture into large glass mixing bowl; cover lightly. Mixture will rise.

On days, 6, 7, 8 and 9, stir.

On day 10, stir in 1 cup flour, 1 cup sugar and 1 cup milk and stir. Give 1 cup each to two friends, keeping one cup to make the bread and one cup for your starter.



Amish Friendship Bread

1 c. starter
1 c. oil
2 c. flour
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. milk
3 eggs
1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 c. nuts, chopped
1 lg. box instant vanilla pudding


1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease two loaf pans. In a small bowl, make a cinnamon and sugar mixture to sprinkle inside pans. Reserve some.

2. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Pour into prepared pans. Sprinkle some reserved cinnamon and sugar mixture on top.

3. Bake for 40-50 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans.

To freeze: wrap tightly in plastic wrap, then in aluminum foil.

No comments: