11.28.2009

Home Sweet Home

Jeff and I just got home about an hour ago or so. We unpacked all of our stuff, started some laundry, showered, and Jeff is now on his way to pick up the Tobster. We miss the little devil. :)

We had such a great week! I left at 10:30 on Tuesday. By the time I got through the construction traffic on Grand Ave, made it to the parking garage, and went through ticketing, it was already 12:30. That was perfect because I had less than an hour and a half to wait.

I was super hungry, since I had only eaten yogurt. So, I treated myself to a ham and Swiss sandwich from Paradise Bakery. After I ate, I went through security and sat at the gate waiting to board. Time flew right by.

The flight was only 2 hours and 15 minutes, which was so nice. I got to DFW right before 5. Jeff, his dad, and his sister picked me up. We went straight to Jason and Ruth's house.

I was glad to finally meet Ruth and Jack. Jack is completely in love with Jeff It is really cute.

Ruth's parents were visiting from Spain. So, we all went out to eat at a Mexican restaurant called Gloria's. It was very good.

Ruth's parents invited us to Tenerife for our honeymoon. They will provide us with an apartment and a car for two weeks, if we pay for our tickets, food, etc. We are very seriously considering it!

We visited at Jason and Ruth's house for a bit, then we headed to Grandbury - where we were staying. I believe the drive was around an hour, maybe a little more.

I stayed at Stuart and Leigh's house with Jeff and Katie. They are the nicest people in the whole world. I was given the grand tour of their 130-year old home, named the Nutt House after the original owner. They also told me some ghost stories. It was absolutely gorgeous. It still had a lot of the original furniture, books, etc in the home. We were actually the last people that would ever stay at the Nutt House because next month, the Historical Society is taking over the property and it is becoming a museum.

We sat around and talked for a bit, but it was kind of late by the time we got there, so we went to bed soon after arriving. Katie and I were supposed to share the kids' room upstairs, but it was creepy and neither of us wanted to stay in there. So, the first night, I slept in what used to be the dentist's office, and Jeff slept on a mattress on the floor.

On Wednesday, I was taken over to Mz. Grenner's (Jeff's grandma) house to meet her. She told me how much Jeff bragged about me and my cooking/baking. :)

Jeff, Katie, his dad, Stuart, and I went to eat at the Nutt House Hotel. It was pretty good food. Katie went to visit some friends, so the rest of us spent the day running errands in an attempt to get ready for Thanksgiving.

Since more people were staying there that night, Katie and I had to stay upstairs.

We sat in the living room and listened to the guys play guitar and Katie sing.

I was the first person to go to bed, so Jeff went upstairs with me until I fell asleep. As I was dozing off, I hear what sounded like splashing. I opened my eyes and asked Jeff what the noise was - hoping I was hearing things. He said he didn't know, so we flew downstairs. It turns out that when they run the dishwasher, the upstairs bathroom drain bubbles. Phew!

I was still spooked, so I slept in the dentist's office until Katie went to bed. Jeff slept on the floor with us.

On Thanksgiving morning, Jeff (Leigh's brother) and I were the first one's up. I got ready right away and had some coffee. Stuart got up shortly after us. When Leigh got up, I helped her around the kitchen with her brother. Then, Mz. G showed up to help. We did a lot of talking. It was really fun.

People started showing up at around 10. We ate breakfast casserole and fruit. Then, visited and got more of the cooking done. I met Jeff's cousin, Anne, her husband, Carl, and Carl's sister, Christy. I loved them.

Jason, Ruth, Jack, and Ruth's parents all came as well. Their was a big crowd. It was nice.

His entire family was really funny. I laughed so much and felt very comfortable and welcome there.

When all the kitchen stuff was done, Jeff and I went behind the house and picked some pecans to take home.

Right before dinner, we all gathered on the porch for a toast. Then, we listened to Leigh's brother (I think he is a minister) read a verse from the bible and Mz. G say Grace.

The food was so delicious. It was all very different from what I'm used to. Leigh made some sweet potatoes, and I actually liked them. I have never liked them before.

After dinner, we sat in the dentist's office and played Rockband: The Beatles Edition.

Jeff, Spencer, Chris, Jason, and I stayed up pretty late. I think it was around 1:30 when Jason left and after 3 when we went to bed. We just sat in front of the fireplace and told spooky stories.

Jeff and I slept in until around 10 on Friday. Katie brought us breakfast from Whataburger. Jeff and I got ready and walked around the square for awhile. Then, we had lunch at some little place.

Jeff's dad had us come home early, so that we could go say our goodbyes to Jason and Ruth. Katie was spending time with her mom, so it was just Jeff, Spencer, Mike, and I that went there. We hung out for a little bit and had some dinner. Then, we said our goodbyes and left.

Saying goodbye made me cry. It was harder than I thought it would be.

I went to bed early, but didn't get very much sleep.

The others stayed up super late.

We got up at 5:30 and left a little after 6. I cried when we said goodbye to Mike, Katie, Stuart, and Leigh. Stuart and Leigh are planning to come to the wedding, though.

They are great people.

On the way to DFW, we dropped Leigh's brother off at the train station. We got to the airport a little early, so we got a small breakfast while we waited.

Jeff and I slept most of the flight. We were sad to leave, but glad to finally get home!

Jeff plans to go to Tennessee in May or June for Katie's graduation, but Mike told him not to. He said that he should save his money for the wedding. We will see what happens.

Everyone kept telling Jeff how much they loved me, which meant a lot. When we were leaving, Stuart told me that we don't have to be married to be a part of the family. I am already a part of the Kelley clan.

Anyway, it was a terrific week. Yes, I would have loved to be with my family, but I'm glad to now have more family members to spend time with. :)

No comments: